Your kitchen is one of the most-used rooms of the house, and electrical safety should be a matter of importance for every household. The majority of house fires start in the kitchen due to unattended cooking, grease fires, and electrical fires. With large and small appliances, plus the use of water for cooking and cleaning, every member of the family should be educated on electrical safety in the kitchen.
Kitchen Electricity Safety
Kids need education on fire safety, but adults require a refresher, too. As you prep dinner or heat up leftovers, don’t forget these vital steps for helping your family avoid electrical hazards in the kitchen.
Never leave cooking unattended, especially stovetop cooking. Ensure all combustibles, like pot holders, electrical cords, and towels, are away from the stove and other cooking surfaces. Never put metal in the microwave, which can cause a fire. Ensure your cooktop, oven, and other appliances are turned off after use. Keep the stove hood and exhaust clean, and ensure grease is wiped off your cooktop before turning it on.
Don’t overload your outlets with multiple appliances, like a toaster oven, blender, coffee maker, stand mixer, and more – you’ll increase your chances of an electrical hazard. Keep only one appliance per plugin, and minimize running multiple appliances on the same circuit simultaneously. Also, don’t let convenience allow you to keep appliances plugged in at all times; unplug appliances when not in use and when cleaning them. Plugged-in appliances use vampire energy, which could be costing you more in electricity every month.
Water and Electricity
Electricity and water don’t mix! Dry your hands thoroughly before plugging in any appliance. Also, make sure to unplug appliances, like your electric kettle, before filling with water. Never let electrical cords fall in the sink; store or operate appliances away from water. Make sure blenders, mixers, etc. are dried thoroughly before use or storage.
Building codes now require U.S. homes to have ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlets in kitchens and bathrooms. These help prevent hazards by monitoring the current, then shutting off suddenly if the electricity is coming in differs from the current; this prevents electrical shock, potential fires, or electrocution. It’s recommended that you test your GFCI outlets once a month; read more for how to test or install GFCIs.
Wiring & Extension Cords
A small shock can be an indicator of a larger electrical problem; it’s smart to have it checked by a licensed electrician. Don’t plug in large appliances to an extension cord or power strip; they should be plugged in directly to a proper outlet. If using extension cords for smaller appliances, unplug it as soon as you’re done using it.
Refrigerators house more power than we realize, accounting for about 5% of a home’s annual energy use. To keep it efficient and safe from fire risks, vacuum refrigerator coils every three months. Keep the fridge moved a few inches away from the wall to make sure air can circulate as it runs 24/7.
Go over these safety tips with your family members so you can keep the kitchen running without concern. Enjoy your worry-free meal times together! Finally, if you live in Texas and need an affordable power company, check out Payless Power’s traditional or no-deposit prepaid electricity plans to start saving today.
What our customers are saying
See why our power customers say we're the best electricity provider in Texas!
Affordable and easy to make payments
I was worried about getting electricity for my home through a prepaid company. I was calling around to see different rates then going through all the hassle of credit checks while dropping points each…
I have been with this company for several years and have been very happy since. Even when I moved, they made my usually stressful situation very easy and carefree. I recommend them to everyone that I…
Long term customer
I have enjoyed the service for 2 years now. In the beginning this service was planned to be temporary but with the service being so effective for me i decided to keep it for the long haul. I’m a happy customer.