In today’s economy, many homeowners are looking for ways to reduce their monthly utility costs. If you are looking for cheap electricity, Houston has the advantage of location; the deregulation of Texas utilities has raised the level of competition in the market, lowering prices and raising customer expectations. However, no matter where you live, you can lower your monthly utility cost by taking a few simple steps:
Take a closer look at your equipment:
- Have an HVAC inspection. Hiring a certified technician to check your home’s heating, ventilation, and air conditioning system is a smart move that can save money in the long run. The cost of the inspector is offset by the amount you will save on your monthly utility costs; fixing leaking ducts, for instance, can save you up to twenty percent.
- Choose the right power. Use Energy Star guidelines to decide how powerful your heating or air conditioning unit needs to be. A unit that is too powerful will use more energy than you need, wasting your money, and it will also be less effective at controlling humidity.
- Clean it up. Dirt and dust can reduce the airflow and impede your air conditioner’s effectiveness. Clean them monthly, and your monthly utility costs will be lower.
- Mind the thermostat. According to Energy Star, programming your thermostat to run at higher temperatures while you’re at work can cut your electric bill by $180 each year.
- Invest in energy efficiency. Energy-efficient appliances can save you money in the end. Even better, they may be cheaper upfront! Research the incentives available to you, and you may find that you qualify for a tax credit or rebate, just for buying appliances that are energy-efficient.
Find your energy wasters:
- Look for leaks. Sealing cracks around doorframes and windows can reduce your monthly utility costs by about twenty percent.
- Change your bulbs.
- Learn to love the nightlife. Using heat-producing appliances like the dishwasher and dryer during the day will force your air conditioner to work harder. Do your chores at night to reduce your monthly utility costs.
- Use your blinds. Controlling the amount of light that enters a room can help keep it cool. Consider insulated window treatments for extra savings.
- Enjoy the breeze. It is an old-fashioned way to manage the heat, but it works! Open a window and turn on your ceiling fan. Remember, fans do not cool the room; they cool the people in the room, so turn them off when you leave.
- Not using it? Unplug it! Microwaves, cell phone and laptop chargers, and other small appliances can use energy and generate heat when not in use. Plug them in to a power strip, and turn it off when you are not using it, to see a five to ten percent drop in monthly utility costs.
Consider the source:
- Know your options. Especially in places like Houston, utilities can vary widely in cost from company to company. Do your research, and learn the average monthly cost of utilities before you decide on a provider.
- Ask about available plans. Time of use plans, fixed rate plans, and prepaid electricity are all options that companies sometimes offer to help reduce your energy costs. Ask questions, in order to make an educated decision.
If you are looking for ways to manage your electric bill, you might consider the benefits of prepaid electricity. In Dallas, Houston and everywhere in between, you can sign up with Payless Power with no deposit and no money down. Contact us today at 866-963-9353 to learn more.